Stijn Pieters is co founder and managing partner of PM • Risk Crisis Change. He sets out to create an out of this world network of people (or ‘company’) changing the minds, attitudes and spirits of people on how to handle risks, crisis and change. Stijn pursues his purpose to prevent future generations being born in a dystopian world filled with depressed, cynical, pessimistic, negative and insecure people without the chance of building capacity to quickly recover from difficulties.
His purpose translates into the objectives to toughen up people, teams, organisations, societies to improve lives; innovate in the broad field of risk, crisis and change and to strengthen individuals and teams who accomplish tasks with virtuosity, mastery, fluency, ability and proficiency, at any given time.
As an advisor to private, non profit and public organisations he draws knowledge and wisdom from different domains such as crisis management (his favourite) but also performance, risk, change management and paradoxical leadership.
Stijn has a background in crisis communications but also strategic communications and web development. Multimedia engineering was his first degree. He also holds a Postgraduate in disaster management, Campus Vesta (University of Antwerp). In his dissertation he covered the pre-crisis conditions for effective learning during crisis communication simulations in organisations.
Additionally, Stijn is co-founder of the CIP Institute, a collaboration platform that advocates research and development in the field of risk & crisis management. He is an active member of the Federal Belgian Crisis Communications Response Team.
Stijn loves his three women at his home in Gent, Belgium. He also loves Gent in general.
Publications by Stijn:
- Pieters, S., Van Achte, T. (2018) Conversations in a crisis: article in ‘Continuity & Resilience’, the magazine of the Business Continuity Institute Read the article
- Pieters, S., Van Achte, T. (2018) Embracing informal stakeholder conversations for evidence-based crisis response: Two work processes based on crisis intelligence. Journal of Business Continuity & Emergency Planning Read the paper
- Pieters, S., Marynissen, H. (2017) Crisisbeheer in zorgorganisaties, de gouden driehoek van operaties, beleid en communicatie Learn more about this book
- Marynissen, H., Pieters, S., Mertens, P., Ramacker, B., Brugghemans, B. (2015) Het Werkproces Crisiscommunicatie. Naar een verdere professionalisering van de communicatiediscipline. In: Devroe et al. (Eds.) Zicht op first responders. Handboek bij het beheer van evenementen en noodsituaties in Nederland en België. Maklu, Antwerpen – Apeldoorn (267-288).
- Pieters, S., Eeckman, E. (2015) Crisiscommunicatie. In: Eeckman, E., Van San, P. (Eds.) Communicatie troef. Doeltreffend communiceren in en door zorgorganisaties. LannooCampus, Tielt (194-210).
- Marynissen, H., Pieters, S., Van Dorpe, S., van het Erve, A., Vergeer, F. (2010) Geen commentaar! Communicatie in turbulente tijden (No comment! Communication in times of turbulence). Houtekiet / BusinessContact, Antwerp – Amsterdam.