Pieter-Michiel Vermaut is advisor and practitioner at PM Risk•Crisis•Change.
In February 2008 Pieter-Michiel made the transition from the armed forces (as a sergeant) to a special unit for the federal department of Justice of Belgium. There he worked in small but highly specialised teams for the safety and security during multiple high level events. During this period his interest in ‘how teams work’ and ‘how to strengthen and empower people’ grew further and he started searching for thorough and well founded answers. He graduated as a Bachelor in Social Work and went on to specialise in the wellbeing of workers. This led him to the specialised training as ‘prevention advisor level 1, psychosocial aspects of work’ – an academic training at KU Leuven.
In 2016 Pieter-Michiel became head of the internal service of prevention and protection of wellbeing for the unit at the department of Justice and he became a lecturer at VIVES Kortrijk. In 2017 he started working for the local council of the Belgian commune of Aalter where he took on the role of crisis coordinator combined with the role of prevention advisor. In 2018 he started the post graduate training in crisis management at the University of Antwerp.
As volunteer for the Red Cross he helps supporting the psychosocial resilience of individuals and groups involved in major crises and events.
In the future he hopes to strengthen his knowledge and coach and support experts and students of safety & security in their role and mission with the necessary care for their wellbeing and the wellbeing of their colleagues.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2019) Pictomodule, designing a crisis intelligence product (work title). Antwerp: Campus Vesta.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2017) The ABC of the IDPB, an evaluation supporting wellbeing at work. Leuven: KULeuven/Odisee.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2015) Engagement and wellbeing at work. A preventive, motivating and communicative vision on wellbeing within the a special unit of the department of Justice. Gent: Odisee.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2014) How systematically work at the wellbeing at work? Satisficing compliancy and working at wellbeing from real needs. Brussels: Erasmus.
Publications as advisor/contributor:
- Willaert, M. (2016) An evaluation of the safety at Gent-Wevelgem: a qualitative study of the current safety measures with the aim of composing an internal and comprehensive safety plan. Kortrijk: Vives.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2017) Young and wellbeing at work: how to combine? Bruges: presentation Prebes.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2019) Towards preparedness. Barcelona: CONRIS DRM week.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2019) Towards preparedness. Deventer: CONRIS DRM week.
- Vermaut, P.M. (2016-2019) Wellbeing at work. Course preventionadvisor level 3 for BaMV. Kortrijk: VIVES.