Tim Van Achte
Tim Van Achte is a crisis strategist, adviser, researcher and developer who specialises in crisis management, crisis intelligence, external perception analysis and sentiment analysis for companies and governments facing a crisis. At PM he is a consultant on training and simulations for crisis management teams, social media strategies and the use of innovative tools in crisis management. He is coordinator and developer of the CIP Simulator, the digital training platform for realistic crisis simulations used all over Europe.
Tim is co-founder of CIP Institute, a non-profit organisation dedicated to the field of crisis. He is an active member of the Federal Belgian Crisis Communications Response Team. Tim is also an author and frequent lecturer in crisis intelligence, information management and the role of social media and crowdsourcing in a crisis. He is a guest lecturer at various Belgian universities such as Antwerp Management School, University of Antwerp, Campus Vesta, Thomas More, KU Leuven and PIVO Vlaams-Brabant.
He is also involved in several research projects such as the EU-funded E2mC project which investigates the role of crisis intelligence, social media analysis and crowdsourcing in the Copernicus satellite emergency management services for civil protection authorities, national and local governments.
Tim’s key publications:
- Pieters, S., Van Achte, T. (2018) Conversations in a crisis: article in ‘Continuity & Resilience’, the magazine of the Business Continuity Institute Read the article
- Pieters, S., Van Achte, T. (2018) Embracing informal stakeholder conversations for evidence-based crisis response: Two work processes based on crisis intelligence. Journal of Business Continuity & Emergency Planning Read the paper
- Brugghemans, B., Van Achte, T. (2016) Crisis Intelligence Manual, Retrieved from the website http://crisisintelligence.org on 26 January 2016. Download the eBook
- Havas, C., Resch, B., Francalanci, C., Pernici, B., Scalia, G., Fernandez-Marquez, J.L., Van Achte, T., Zeug, G., Mondardini, M.R.R., Grandoni, D., Kirsch, B., Kalas, M., Lorini, V., Rüping, S. E2mC: Improving Emergency Management Service Practice through Social Media and Crowdsourcing Analysis in Near Real Time. Sensors 2017, 17, 2766. Read the paper
- #BrusselsAttacks: Crisis communication, social media and sentiment analysis – Crisiscommunicatie en sociale media tijdens terreurdreiging en aanslagen in Brussel Read the article
More relevant publications by Tim:
- Van Achte, T., Vergeer, F. (2015) Van data naar analyse naar advies. In: van het Erve, A. (Ed.) Communiceren begint met luisteren (Listen before you communicate). Eburon, Delft (49-58). (Dutch) Download
- Meesters, K., van Beek, L., Van de Walle, B. (2016) #Help. The Reality of Social Media Use in Crisis Response: Lessons from a Realistic Crisis Exercise Info – Note Tim: not an author of this one, but being involved in this unique large scale crisis experiment with the actual Twitter platform as the playfield. The work I did on this publication’s findings and recommendations with the researchers, did pave the way for much of my work onwards!
- Van Achte, T., Meulemeester, R. (2016) Crisiscommunicatie: zo start je razendsnel je team op [handige templates] Retrieved from the website https://www.frankwatching.com/archive/2016/10/26/crisiscommunicatie-zo-start-je-razendsnel-je-team-op-handige-templates/ on 26 October 2016. Read
- Tasks and Tools of the Information Analyst – Information Analysis as a Basis for Effective Crisis Response Strategies
Paper presentation – 23rd SRA-Europe Conference (Istanbul) · Authors: Tim Van Achte, Hugo Marynissen, Stijn Pieters, Frank Vergeer, Anne-Marie van het Erve
- Identifying, embracing and enhancing Complex Interactive Processes when dealing with organisational performance, safety, risks and crises
Paper for the First International CIP Conference, Brussels, Belgium · Authors: Hugo Marynissen, Juan Manuel Domínguez, Tim Van Achte, Stijn Pieters
- Crisis Communication Work Process developed for Belgian Federal Government
Poster presentation – 23rd SRA-Europe Conference (Istanbul) · Authors: Tim Van Achte, Hugo Marynissen, Stijn Pieters, Frank Vergeer, Anne-Marie van het Erve
- (co-author) The Role of Individual Risk Perception in an Organization Managing High Risks
EDBAC – Paper presentation – Annual International Conference on Engaged Management Scholarship (Atlanta) · Authors: Hugo Marynissen, Donna Ladkin, David Denyer, Tim Van Achte, Erik Snoeijers
- (co-author) Hugo Marynissen et al – The Impact of Risk Communication on Individual Perception in a Complex Interactive and Tightly Coupled Organisation
Poster presentation – Annual Meeting 2012 of SRA (Society for Risk Analysis)
- (co-author) Stijn Pieters et al – The Role of Social Media as a Trusted Risk Communication Tool
Presentation – Annual Meeting 2012 of SRA (Society for Risk Analysis)